Friday, February 8, 2008

Aaron's Helmet Update

So we just got back from from Aaron's appt with Dr. Klava. I brought some pictures with me along with my camera with pictures from this morning's bath to show his doctor. It is easier to see his head with his hair wet, so thus the reason for the pictures. There was also an orthist at his appointment so that info could be relayed back to Aaron's orthist, Amy.

We all thought Aaron's head has changed quite a bit and we are very happy with those results. I asked about continuing in hopes of getting the remaining flat area to round out and Dr. Klava said that his fontanel spot is beginning to become rigid and closing and that won't allow for much more growth. He feels Aaron is at about 90% round and yes, we could obtain that final 10% or we might not. Since I am his mom and the most picky about his head shape I wanted to leave his helmet on a little longer to see if we could get a little more roundness. Dr Klava said he is onboard to try a little longer to see if we can achieve that final 10%. Aaron's helmet still fits him well and will allow for more growth so that is not a concern. If the helmet wasn't fitting well and we were looking at having to remold for another helmet, then he would have suggested not continuing. I agreed.

So for now Aaron will continue to wear his helmet every day. We will continue that for another two months then wean him off of it. Aaron will see Dr. Klava again at the end of May for a final evaluation. So hopefully by the middle of April Aaron will be helmet free.

I will post some pictures here once Chris fixes my computer. I am limping along on his laptop now. Ugh!

Dr. Klava also asked if we would be willing to be a resource to other parents that have children going through this. Some are also having insurance issues as we did. We are more than happy to help out in that capacity. I am still looking at writing a letter to our State Senators and Health commissioners in hopes that BCBS will cover these helmets again. I have gathered a lot of great resources over then last couple of months.

We were also happy to see Aaron's physical therapist working today. She was thrilled to see his progress and how well he is walking now.

Off to work on my bracelet. *See previous post*

No comments: