Monday, January 26, 2009

What a sad weekend...

I worked Saturday night at the club this weekend and Jason came through the bar and said "Jen I need to talk to you?" Usually I say, " I didn't do it." But I kind of sensed he wasn't in a joking mood. We got to the back banquet area and he told me that Mike Collins had passed away.

WOW! That was hard. He had been fighting cancer for the last 11 years, had won remission 5 years ago and then last December things went downhill. He had cancer in his spine, kidneys and liver. This last year was hard for us to watch too as he just wasn't the same man we had always known. No more joking with me over wanting another server to wait on him, no more huge smiles. Jess said on Sat that Mr. Collins kind of scared her. She just didn't know the man we all knew. He was the sweetest man and always so good to us. He will be missed for sure and even though I worry for his wife, I know she has a strong family to take care of her.

So God Bless the Collins family this week...

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

That is so sad! I used to work at the mall here and there was a guy named Floyd who came to every store to talk to the employees. He was just a lonely old man! Floyd loved this place in town called Skates which is a family owned diner. Anyways he'd go there everyday too and one day he actually died there at a table. It affected quite a few of us who dealt with him on a daily basis.