Tuesday, January 6, 2009

What about me????

So, the other day a friend of mine asked what type of things I do. HUH? What do you means what type of things I do? She meant what kind of activities are you involved in. Again, huh?

So I started thinking what types of things do I do just for myself and not for my kids or Chris. I am hard pressed to find even a couple. So maybe I need to re-evaluate things for the new year. This is what I came up with for things I do for myself and myself only.

1. Get my nails done every two weeks - occcassionaly get a pedicure if money allows
2. Play computer games - not really a constructive venture but it is fun.
3. Knit - when I get the opportunity
4. Over the last 10 years I have gone to the cities 3 times for a weekend without kids and Chris.
5. Chris and I have spent exactly one night away from all our kids in the last 7 years. That was for his 30th birthday and of course we are NOT counting the nights we spent in the hospital having Ryan and Aaron.
6. Read books - I have tried to do more of that over the last year.

Sad, but that is all I could come up with. I am not complaining, I love my life, but looking at that list just tells me that Chris and I need to take more time for ourselves. Might make us better parents - who knows? So I have decided to take a class on using Photoshop, so I can use my CS3 program to edit my pictures. That is at the end of March and I really want to learn to knit socks, so I will either teach myself or take a class. I am hoping to get to the cities in Feb/March when we are closed at the club to visit with some high school friends and hopefully Chris and I will finally get away this year for a weekend without the kids. What on earth would we do with that time???

Chris and I are very family oriented so sometimes we forget that we need time for ourselves without the kids. Something to work on for sure.

4 comments:

Mel Fraase said...

I totally feel the same way. After reading your post, I tried to think of "me" things. I don't really have any right now!!! I color my own hair, do my own nails/feet, and am currently attached at the boob to a baby! All I came up with is working my weekends at the hospital! Hows that for a vacay!? I guess we've both got things to work on!

Jena9286 said...

I'm gald I'm not the only one. lol

Mel Fraase said...

OOh! I went out and saw Twilight with two girls from work. Even had time for a drink before hand!! It's about as much "me" time as I think I'll see in the next year!! Also - not so impressed with the movie...hope the bigger budget on the sequal will make for a better show! The book was pretty cool, not Harry Potter, but not bad!

fareezyusoff said...

hmmm, nice thinking.