Thursday, November 20, 2008

Ryan's Check-up

Ryan had his check-up on Tuesday. He is a healthy boy of course and brilliant too it seems. While he was waiting he wrote his name on the chalkboard as well as his numbers - backwards, but in the right order. The when the student doctor asked him to draw a person he did and counted all the fingers to make sure he had 5 on them. Dr. Lien said he would probably be ready for kindergarten next year instead of waiting till 2010. We will wait though, but he loves his school. Every day he asks "Is this the day I go to school?"

Ryan is 39 3/4 inches tall and in the 37 percentile for height and he is 36 lb 14 oz and in the 59 percentile for weight. To me, this translates to a growth spurt soon and he will shoot up in inches. Fun!

No shots either which he was happy about.

I did ask the Doctor about what to do about Aaron not sleeping through the night yet, and she told me she is not above drugging her kids and suggested giving him 1 mg of melatonin to help put himself to sleep at night then to keep putting him back into bed when he wakes up and to not lay with him. Chris and I started 2 nights ago and already it is much better. She told me to give him the melatonin 45 minutes for bed. Well Chris gave it to him in some ice cream and he was out cold in 15 minutes on the first night. Last night we planned better and he fell asleep in his bed with Chris sitting next to him. The key is not to let him curl up with us. I have also not been nursing him at nap time and making him fall asleep in his bed. I have to be there yet, but at least I am not the pacifier. Hopefully he will learn.

Keep your fingers crossed, cause mom and dad are really tired.

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

My sister used melatonin with her daughter and it worked for her too! I hope he continues to sleep well!