Monday, June 23, 2008

Carlos Creek Winery

On Saturday I met my good friend Andrea at the Carlos Creek Winery in Alexandria, MN. It was a gorgeous day and nice to get away from the kids for an adult day. Even though I don't drink wine, it was fun to see how things were done there and to enjoy the company.

We met at about 11:30 and rented a 2 person surrey bike to check out the grounds. It didn't take us long to get around, so I think we went around 3-4 times. The hills were tough of course and I know I realized that maybe I need a little more working out time. HA!

Afterwards, we sat and visited some more, Andrea sampled some wines and we took the 2 PM production tour. It was run by the general manager that we think may have been more drunk than sober. According to him it is a requirement of the job. I know many people who would love that job requirement.

Once the tour was finished we went to a local hotspot, Bug a Boo Bay for lunch. We had a great server which is always a plus, that and the fact that he carded us when we ordered margaritas. He got a fat tip from me for that one. It was a great day!



Photobucket

Andrea and I enjoying the weather

Photobucket

The wine cave - can house up to 300 barrels of wine. Each barrel contine 300 gallons of wine, 1 gallon can make about 5 bottles of wine

Photobucket

Employee break area

Photobucket

This is the bottler. It can bottle up to 1800 bottles in an hour. The tour guide says they only do 600-800 bottles of wine. This gives the employees more drinking time.

Photobucket

Andrea

Photobucket

Me

Photobucket

Apple orchard. The winery makes wine from both apples and grapes.

Photobucket

The back side of the wine cave.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

Looks like fun! I've never toured a winery but I have toured the Coors beer factory, too young for samples of beer though. lol