Monday, March 3, 2008

Ryan has two crowns!

Today started way too early for Ryan and I. Ryan's surgery to fix his teeth required him to be at the hospital at 6:15 am with surgery at 7:15. So I got up at 5:30, threw some clothes on and got the bags in the van. Then woke Ryan up and got him ready and we were out the door at 5:55. Ryan was great. No whining or crying, just went along for the ride.

Once at the hospital we got checked in and Ryan got to pick out a cart to ride up to his floor in. He picked the red car. Once on the 2nd floor we went to the play room and waited for his nurse. That took maybe 5 minutes and Ryan was brought to his room to get ready for his surgery. He got to sit in the big recliner and watch cartoons while I answered questions. His nurse Nancy reminded me of Aunt Mary. Her mannerisms, voice, looks, everything. It was funny. She said she has been told at least 5 times in her life that she reminds people of a Mary. We wonder if it is our Aunt Mary????? HMMMM???

After that the anesthesiologist came in and asked a bunch of questions too. He was the same one I had when I had Ryan. He gave me my epidural and came back when I needed more drugs. I liked him. So I felt really comfortable having Ryan have him for his anesthesia. He also told me that he would be giving Ryan a mild tranquilizer to calm him down when we brought him back. Wished they would have done that with Meghan 6 years ago when she had her surgery. Chris and I both remember her screaming down the hall when they took her away.

Dr. Holman, his dentist, came in next and explained his surgery. They would take X-rays to see if there were any other areas they needed to work on and would let me know. After that Ryan got his tranquilizer and it took effect quickly. Then we packed up and walked down to the surgery wing. Ryan went willingly with the nurse and didn't make a peep.

I sat in the waiting room after that. The surgery was supposed to take about an hour and a half. At about 8 o'clock I got a call saying they had found some more work to do and it could be another hour or so. Dr. Holman came out at about 9 and said they had finished up and Ryan ended up getting 2 crowns and 4 cavities filled. Yikes! We knew he was going to get 1 crown and 2 cavities, but had no idea how bad his teeth were. Ryan will go back in 6 months for his next check-up. He will be brushing and flossing and now will use Gel-Kam on his teeth. The dentist did put sealant on his molars to help ward off cavities. In talking with the nurse, apparently there is a short time frame in which enamel forms on teeth while in utero and if I were sick or not feeling well during that time, it wouldn't form well. That made me feel a little less of a rotten mother. Considering we had done nothing different with Ryan's teeth than we had with the girls.

After that I went back to see Ryan. He was awake and disoriented. I sat with him, he cried but became much better after he got some juice. We sat there for about 45 minutes before getting dressed. We started walking toward the elevator and Ryan was taking big, wide and unsteady steps so we got him a wheelchair and cruised him down the hall. I guess we got home at about 10 and he sacked out on the chair with dad. Right now it's almost noon and he is cruising around the house a bit and getting back to normal.

So he is doing well and is such a trooper. I am so relieved his surgery went better than Meghan's. She was SOOOOOOO mad at us!

Here he is in his hospital jammies

Photobucket

With nurse Nancy (Mary)

Photobucket


After waking up!

Photobucket

Upper Crown

Photobucket

Lower Crown

Photobucket

No comments: