Monday, December 17, 2007

Alas! The wall is crumbling.

So for the last six months Chris and I have been trying to get Meghan and Katie to read the Harry Potter books. Especially Meghan cause we feel she would really like them. I even offered to read them to her. I have gotten nothing but a little girl who digs her heals in to any suggestion her mom might have. Katie of course didn't want to cause her sister didn't want to. We have watched the first two movies only by force and know both the girls enjoyed them.

School started and we found that a number of kids in her class are reading the books. Meghan still refuses. Even her good friend across the street has read them all. Nope, not Meghan. Every time we mention it, nope not going to do it.

Anyway since Meghan's birthday, where a number of her friends were discussing the books and she had no clue, I could see her getting a tad interested here and there. Then yesterday her friend was talking about wanting the Harry Potter 5 movie for Christmas and Chris and I started talking to her about it. Once we got home I thought, I will try again and bring it up to Meghan. So I said to her, "Are you figuring out now that you are feeling left out by not reading Harry Potter?" Her answer was yes. So I asked her if she might want to start reading the books. She then asked if I would read them to her. Of course. So tonight we started reading book one and I told her that she could continue on her own and when she wanted me to read to her again I would pick up where she left off.

Caught her reading more of the book tonight after everyone got home from dance. I am so excited that finally she has decided that maybe it is a good idea to read those books and maybe her mom isn't so stupid after all. :) It is the little feats in life.

On the other hand the three year old needs to be thrown in a snow bank. HA!

No comments: